Saturday, April 10, 2010

Willcox, AZ

Willcox Arizona is hot. Very hot. We got a late start on our day because of the ride with the University of Arizona med students this morning so by the time we hit town around 4 pm we got the opportunity to ride directly through the heat of the day.  We didn't have the greatest turn out for the morning ride but we hammered (cyclist talk for fast) pretty hard and got to see all of Tucson, which I really liked as a city. It has a great mix of college town and artsy/urban area, or at least the part we spend the most time in so I think we all felt comfortable hanging out there.  We then rejoined the group on the road to Willcox along Interstate 10. Interstate bike riding is interesting because it's not even legal in the states I've ever lived in., own here though there just aren't any options for back roads sometimes so the D.O.T allows it. Riding on the shoulder means you have to be locked in the entire time because there isn't a ton of room to bail out to and there is all kinds of  various debris to dodge, at least when semis pass 6 feet from you at 70 miles you get a little breeze!  We got back into some hills around the 50 mile mark something we hadn't had to deal with for a few days so it took our legs a few just to readjust.  Between the hills, heat and pizza that I thought would be a good idea for lunch (mistake) I found myself just holding on for all I had not to get dropped by the group I was riding with.  Luckily (or not) the high school we are staying at doesn't have the hot water heater on so we all got ice cold showers to rejuvenate us.  Today is our last day in Arizona before hitting New Mexico tomorrow, new states are fun even though I'm pretty sure the desert will look the same even after we cross the border. No Chain!

U of A group ride



Cool overpass from the group ride, it made you feel fast.



Along the last climb to Willcox, AZ


I say cactuses, you say cacti.


If I told you what was behind this door I would probably have to kill you.
 Still not sure if it was worth the dollar.



Lenore is way too good at the lunch lady thing.



Who knew there could be so many uses for bagels?



I "saw the light" at the Jewish synagogue in Tucson.
We go to bed at different times so we turn the lights down in waves, somehow the only spotlight in the entire room ended up on my sleeping bag in the middle of the room. I miss my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment