Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Avocado

I had avocado on my sandwich the other night at Whole Foods, I’ve never even tried avocado before but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  I think new experiences are going to be the theme for this trip, often it takes leaving ones comfort zone to discover something new and great.  I know trying avocado is a lame example of this but I guess you have to start somewhere right?  Probably a better example would be my new friend Sam.  I often form preconceived opinions about people way too quickly; it’s one of my many faults, so when I saw the kid with the skinny jeans, tattoos and gauged earrings I automatically assumed there was no way we would spend any time getting to know one another.  But much like trying that avocado I’m glad I have.  Sam is a great cyclist; he’s on a pro team in Louisville so he has been a great measure of just how far I have to go in my cycling endeavors. So far the past few days my good friend Pete and I have latched on to his rear wheel and let him pull us up and down hills, valleys and along the California coast.  Its funny how once you get on the bike and start pedaling all those preconceived opinions quickly disappear, especially when you are within inches of each others tires plunging downhill at 45 miles per hour.  Riding with Sam continually drives me to push harder on my bike, and I look forward to riding in his peloton all across the country.  Tomorrow we leave on this great journey and I look forward to continually discovering new and exciting things/places/people all along the way.  No Chain!


Me and Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment