Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The "No Chain" Thing

I've been asked a couple of times now about the meaning of the name of my blog. It actually comes from Lance Armstrong's book "Every Second Counts".  It's a little saying that they used to use when they were feeling great on the bike during their training rides.

"Laughter took away from the suffering of training. Our jokes took were profane, silly and boyish, but within the team, among nine people who knew and loved and trusted each other, mouthing off was an important part of every day.
George had a saying, when he was feeling really good, "No Chain". The chain on the bike cranked the wheels and created the tension in your legs that drove the bike forward. But imagine if you didn't have a chain. You'd spin nothing, air, which would feel real easy. So George and I had this thing. "Man, can you check something for me?" he would say. "What?" "I don't feel a chain." he'd say. "Is there a chain on my bike?" It became shorthand. "No Chain" Id say, "Hey George, how you feeling today?" "No chain, no chain."
Its something that my friends and I have used for the past couple of years while were out riding/running and Im sure its something that Ill toss out more than once as we bike across the country. Just a little motivational motto, No Chain!

No comments:

Post a Comment